Monday, August 22, 2011

Pop art - The colorful homeless

Hi there!

As I wrote on the previous post, 3 years ago I decided to take a break from my life, and went to Brazil. I planned to absorb the atmosphere, the music and the people.
My first week was in São Paulo. I was overwhelmed, a huge city (11 million people), very energetic, loud and dynamic. I was walking on the streets trying to get the feel of the city, watching the people on there way to work,  learning the sounds of this big metropolis. It was 3 weeks before the carnival, and everywhere around you could find groups of people rehearsing. I tried to follow them, to track them and just to enjoy the music. One day I heard a sound of percussion, and I couldn't track the source, the traffic and the city buzzes confused me. Finally I found myself walking under a bridge, below the traffic jams and the commotion - staring at a group of women rehearsing and singing samba songs. There was a guy there, who looked like the band leader, or conductor, he gave some instructions, praised the girls and sometimes corrected them - as you can see on the pic.

As I approached, I realized that the guy was a little bit drunk, and the girls didn't pay any attention to him, but nevertheless he continued to give the some musical tips.

I should have noticed before that he was a homeless guy, who just wanted to have some fun, but as I told you before I was a little overwhelmed and a bit naive.

Anyway I thought that guy was really interesting, and asked his permission for a picture. and that was the result.

This guy made me think about all the homeless people, that are in a way fading in front of our eyes. Most of the people don't notice them, or try to avoid them if they asking them something, and that made me feel sad.

I really liked the portrait of this guy and decided that he will be the star of my next pop art. I decided to do it in an Andy Worhal style, but this time it will not be a regular celebrity, It will be a street celebrity.


 I decided to add color, glamour and some drops of  fun to the image. I believe I've recreated the carefree and happy carnival atmosphere, that I found on a February day under a bridge, in São Paulo.

No comments:

Post a Comment