Monday, September 19, 2011

Pop Art - Those Red Hot Lips

It was another boring night at the local pub. we drank a lot, had nothing to say, and we had absolutely no desire to listen.

"HEY!", she said with a surprising energy, "You told me that you bought a new camera, let's give it a test drive!"
"Now?" , I asked, "It's almost 3 am"
-"Yes! now, you always wanted to make a photo session with me, or at least you said so..."
-"Oh, ok, but let's do it outdoors, there is a nice playground I know, nobody passes there at this hour"
-"YAY ! let's go!"

10 min. after, we found ourselves in an empty playground, taking pictures and laughing like two idiots. She loved the spotlights, to be the center of attention. She posed and posed and posed, quicker than my camera. I couldn't handle the poor light, and her fuzziness, but kept going anyway. I was thinking, I am going away in a few days, and those photos will probably be my only chance to remember her, so I have to do my best.

In between she asked me to focus on her lips - "I think that they are the most beautiful part of my body", she said. I couldn't disagree - though I thought to myself... there are more parts that could draw attention...

When I got home I found that most of my photos were far too dark, I tried to save them. Lucky me, her natural beauty popped right away even in the worst conditions.


This one was my favorite - a little bit off focus, just enough to create the little circles of light (bokeh) on the nails, lipstick and lips.

3 years after, those lips have inspired me to do a pop art piece, more colorful and vivid.



I'll always remember that night, especially because it felt more powerful and significant than it really was...



You can find the lipstick poster and more pop art items at my zazzle store

Make sure to visit my still life and pop art articles - a beautiful photo galleries of some talented artists.


Thanks for visiting , leave a comment if you want, I would love to read it!

2 comments:

  1. Great example of how a photo "project" can just evolve when you weren't planning one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct! nothing like a spontaneous energy, you feel more creative and flexible.

    ReplyDelete