Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Vector Art - Mi Buenos Aires Querido

Hello everyone!

During my travelling in Brazil, I met a lot of people from Argentina, most of them from Buenos Aires. As I kept moving on in Brazil, I realized that I must visit Argentina, have to see another culture, to meet my new friends again in their home base. To be honest I never planed to get out of Brazil, I just wanted to explore the country and to enjoy the experience, to visit Argentina or another South American country, never occurred to me. But in September after some emotional roller coasters I decided to change scenery / people and to cross the border to Argentina.


My first stop was in Cordoba, a 20+ hours bus ride. I was invited by a friend of mine
Orange juice, coffee and media lunas
to spend a week at her place. It was lovely. Every morning I spent some time at the local coffee house, with the neiborhood's elders, it was quite an experience.
I tried to understand their jokes and discussions, while enjoying my rich and traditional breakfast (coffee, orange juice, and 2 media lunas). It was funny and relaxing. Simple, but it felt like a dream (I always loved places like that, where time stands still, and the block's parlaiment is active). They immediately figured out that I am a stranger, but I didn't care. After a few days, the waitresses smiled at me, and the old parliament gave me a nod! I've become a celebrity.


After a week in Cordoba, I felt capable enough to deal with Buenos Aires.
I found a nice hostel in a lively, artistic neighborhood - San Telmo. It was really a great place, every Sunday there was a huge fair. You could hear tango and other music styles everywhere... a lot of home made pastries, memorabilia and junk. I found myself listening to a young tango band, who performed in a little street corner, and attracted a lot of crowd. The singer was so emotional, you could understand him even without speaking the language, and the band... it was a real treat to see them playing, the instruments were practically dancing in their hands.

For me it was a magical moment, and I started to look for more tango shows. Fortunately it was all around me.

In many cafes you can find a lot of tango dancers, who will appreciate your financial contribution to their art at the end of their act.



As I took this photo, I knew that I will use it someday to relive that special tango feel. The original photo was fine, and had the right pose, but it was taken in broad daylight, with some tourists around. I felt like I owe the tango more... and decided to give it the right scenery, magic and lights, using vector art.

And that was the result.



Carlos Gardel (1890-1935) was the most famous Tango singer in Argentina at his time. He found his death in a plane crash, leaving his devastated fans a great musical heritage.
Until today you can find his portraits every where -  painted as a graffiti on the streets, in traditional tango places, cafes, even in some ice cream places.

I also decided to do my version of Carlos Gardel's famous portait using vector art.


I must include a link to my favorite Gardel's tango "volver" and to "mi buenos aires querido" - just to get the feel.

I never planned to visit Argentina - stayed there for 6 months ...   I guess it was OK ;)

That's it for now,  hope you enjoyed it.

I encourage you to leave a comment if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.



btw : if you like to see more of my art take a look at my zazzle store.
        or take a look at my pop art post at squidoo

2 comments:

  1. lovely blog! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Andrey! I hope to improve it even more in the next posts.

    ReplyDelete