Thursday, September 1, 2011

Photography - Alone Again, Naturally

Hi there!

To feel alone... everybody feels that way now and then.
Sometimes that feeling helps you discover your inner talent, or some hidden energy, that normally wouldn't be revealed. It gives you some edge, your mind is more creative, you have the urge to do something, anything! and that gives you more artistic drive.

"A Lonely Streetlight" by IBadishi

As for me, I had a lot of spare time, during my travelling. I met some wonderful people, but many times I found myself walking alone, feeling a bit lonely, and wondering what to do.


I remember myself visiting Porto Alegre, the capital of the Rio Grande do Sul state in Brazil. I had arrived especially to visit a good friend of mine, after a long 12 hours bus journey. Everything was perfect, she picked me up from my hostel and gave me a city tour, it was a beautiful Sunday morning. To be honest the city is not a very touristic one, but while we were walking together, I pointed to myself to come back and sit by their huge river (which was the main attraction in the city - for me, anyway).

After a nice and joyful day and night, I began to explore the city alone. As I mentioned before, there weren't many touristic things to do or to see, and therefore not many tourists to meet...
I won't lie, sometimes I found myself thinking, what am I doing here? why do I waste my time in this place? but nevertheless I always stayed at least a week in such a major city.

I began to discover some hidden gems, such as the nice bakery 5 min from my hostel. Every morning I sat there, relaxed, with my cappuccino and my pastry, watching the students running and forming a queue in front of the bakery, making noise, chatting and laughing, enjoying their 10 min. break. I loved it!

And as I promised to myself before, I went back to visit the old river, on a cold windy day. Nobody was there, beside an old gentleman who sold some mulled wine. That hot alcoholic drink, in that winter day, was PERFECT! I thanked him, and sat by the river, with the wine on one hand and a cigarette on the other. My mind wandered while I was gazing at the whispering giant - the huge river. I was thinking, yeah I am here alone but it is not so bad, you can find the beauty in it, it was so comforting to find the strength in me...

While I was sitting there I have noticed a beautiful tree log, floating there, elegantly. I was thinking, well... this log reminds me of me right now! it is by itself, floating quietly, relaxed. I might as well take a picture of it, to remind me that moment.  and I did , I loved the result.



"Silence" by IBadishi


Sometimes to be alone is not so bad, sometimes it makes you grow as a human being, and appreciate the little things in life.

See you soon on my next post.

btw :

You can find a poster of "Silence", "A Lonely Streetlight" and other photos on my zazzle store
or
To read my lens about Pop Art - lot's of cool designs there!

3 comments:

  1. And sometimes, being alone can lead you to some really good photos! Very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Deb! I believe that creativity comes from pain, the REAL good stuff in music, art etc. came from a human being who wanted to scream his soul out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Photos! Please stop by to visit my blog sometime http://www.travelwithpaula.blogspot.com and my Zazzle store http://www.zazzle.com/TravelWithPaula

    ReplyDelete